Search for subjects on this blog

Sunday 14 July 2013

You now have another 5 options . . .

Having just spent what feels like hours listening to a voice assuring me that my “call is important” whilst hanging on for the absolute privilege of speaking with someone concerning something which I pay for, I wonder if rose tinted memories are affecting my brain. Certainly the multiple choice answering systems – “you now have another 7 choices”- did not exist in the 50s and 60s but am I wrong in my recollection that one used to speak with real people who seemed to be able to deal with whatever was the query? Whilst I can remember endless irritation caused by my ear slowly melting while chunks of my life drift away, I don’t remember it becoming a problem until the 80s or thereabouts.

No comments: