Search for subjects on this blog

Tuesday 18 June 2013

Holiday camps

I went to a holiday camp when I was about 7 years old. I think it was a Warner’s Holiday Camp and I think it was in or around Scratby in Norfolk not far from Great Yarmouth. I thought it was wonderful at the time and I guess it was for a boy of my age; I won a sandcastle competition and had a prize of a blue propelling pencil with the facility to pear through the end and see . . .  a picture of Mr Warner; one of my sisters also entered the competition and she didn’t win although, to be honest, her castle was much better than mine. I remember knobbly knees contests (for men), bingo (I think it was called housey housey) and a controlling loudspeaker system which told people what to do and when and, to summon you to eat, call out “ice cream, pickle and jam”.  The oddest thing about being there was that we flew over from Switzerland to go to this camp!

No comments: